NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
Los Angeles Elder Abuse and Nursing Home Wrongful Death Lawyers
Compassionate, strong representation for families when a California senior dies
Seniors should be able to live their best lives possible. That’s why they enroll in nursing homes – to ensure they will receive quality medical care and quality elder care that includes companionship with other seniors, regular visitation with family members, and all the joys of life. The call from a Los Angeles nursing home that a loved one has died because all these joys are immediately ended. The trauma is crushing when a child, grandchild, spouse, or other close relative learns that the death was preventable – that the life of a loved one could have been extended for years or even decades if only the nursing home had complied with the relevant laws, regulations, and safety standards. If only the nursing home had provided quality care and prompt care.
At Garcia & Artigliere in California, our elder care and neglect lawyers respect your need to mourn while fighting to hold nursing homes liable when they failed to act responsibly. Our Los Angeles nursing home wrongful death lawyers are skilled at showing how nursing homes could have saved your loved one’s life. We work with financial professionals and you to show the financial and personal losses that the premature death of a loved one causes.
We’re respected in Los Angeles, California, and across the country for our impressive records of settlements and verdicts in elder abuse and neglect cases. These recoveries include the following wrongful death cases:
- $5.4 million dollars. Elder abuse lawyer Stephen M. Garcia persuaded a Fresno California jury to award $5.4 million to the family of a woman who died because an abdominal infection was ignored and untreated. The judgment included one of the top 10 punitive damage awards in California for a single year.
- $1.5 million dollars. Attorney Stephen M. Garcia obtained a $1.5 million wrongful death verdict for the family of a woman who died from over 10 pressure sores. Many of these bedsores were infected.
- Other million-dollar-plus wrongful death results include $1.55 million and $1.3 million dollars recoveries.
NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
How can we help?
- Why do wrongful deaths of nursing home residents in Los Angeles happen?
- Can nursing homes be held responsible if the wrongful death of a resident occurs in Los Angeles?
- Can family members file wrongful death claims in California?
- What is the value of a wrongful death claim in California?
- When do I need to file a wrongful death claim against a Los Angeles nursing home?
- Do you have a wrongful death lawyer near me?
Why do wrongful deaths of nursing home residents in Los Angeles happen?
At Garcia & Artigliere, our Los Angeles elder abuse and nursing home neglect lawyers understand what safety steps nursing homes should have taken to save your loved one. We are skilled at convincing insurance companies and juries that the nursing home where your loved one lived failed your loved one. We handle the following types of abuse and neglect claims that are the causes of the wrongful death of Los Angeles nursing home residents:
- Elder abuse. We represent families when a loved one dies in a nursing home due to physical abuse, sexual abuse, emotional abuse, or financial abuse. We usually seek punitive damages if the nursing home participated in the abuse or failed to prevent or stop the abuse.
- Nursing home neglect. Elder care neglect occurs when nursing homes fail to prevent, stop, or treat malnutrition and dehydration, bedsores, falls, broken bones, assaults by other residents, wandering and elopement, and medication mistakes.
- Delayed treatment of strokes. Nursing homes, hospitals, and private caretakers may cause a senior or a person of any age to die if stroke treatment is denied. Prompt stroke treatment can save lives.
Can nursing homes be held responsible if the wrongful death of a resident occurs in Los Angeles?
Yes. Los Angeles nursing homes, long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities, rehabilitation centers, and any other elder care facilities owe your loved one a duty to prioritize the health and safety of each resident or patient. Our Los Angeles elder abuse and neglect lawyers do file wrongful death claims when any facility and any person caused the death of your loved one.
At Garcia & Artigliere, we’ve been fighting for the elderly since 1993. This fight includes filing wrongful death claims when a loved one dies. We’re skilled at showing fault and showing how much the life of your loved one meant to each family member.
We work with law enforcement if criminal charges are filed. Our attorneys work with the family members, investigators, and nursing home professionals to show what standards of care were violated. Our lawyers are skilled at negotiating with juries and persuading juries that your loved one’s life was uniquely valuable to each family member.
Can family members file wrongful death claims in California?
California state law provides that the following people can file a claim for wrongful death damages: surviving spouse, domestic partners, children, and grandchildren (if the children are deceased). Others, such as stepchildren, may also qualify if they were financially dependent on the decedent or if they would qualify under California’s intestate laws. The personal representative of the estate normally files the claim
What is the value of a wrongful death claim in California?
Every senior’s life has value – no matter their health or their life expectancy. Every nursing home resident is entitled to live the best life possible.
Wrongful death damages in California include:
- The funeral and burial costs
- The financial support the Los Angeles nursing home resident would have provided the eligible beneficiaries
- The loss of any gifts or bequests the deceased would have provided
- The loss of society and companionship the resident would have given
- The loss of affection, guidance, and moral support from the decedent
Our Los Angeles wrongful death lawyers may also seek punitive damages if the conduct of the nursing was malicious or criminal.
When do I need to file a wrongful death claim against a Los Angeles nursing home?
Generally, the statute of limitations for a wrongful death claim in California is two years from the date of death of your loved one.
The best course of action is to contact our Los Angeles wrongful death lawyers as soon as possible. There may be shorter time limits. As a practical matter, we need to move quickly to investigate how the death occurred and to show that the nursing home is responsible. If any criminal charges are filed, we need to coordinate our case with the prosecution. Prompt action can also help to save others in the Los Angeles nursing home from injuries or death.
Do you have a wrongful death lawyer near me?
Garcia & Artigliere represents families when a relative dies due to the abuse or neglect of a Los Angeles nursing home. We respect the need of families to mourn the death of their loved ones. We fight aggressively to hold any responsible parties accountable.
Get help now. Garcia & Artigliere demands justice when a loved one dies in California
There’s no worse feeling than learning that a loved one has died. Memories, shared interests, and complete love can no longer be experienced first-hand. At Garcia & Artigliere, our wrongful death lawyers understand how devastated you are. We’re skilled at holding nursing homes, private caretakers, physicians, hospitals, and others accountable for elder abuse and neglect that causes deaths. We’ve helped thousands of seniors and families obtain just compensation.
Call or contact our offices today for a free, confidential case evaluation. We maintain additional offices in Long Beach, Louisville, New Orleans and Phoenix. We represent clients across the United States. We receive no compensation unless your case is successful.
Se Habla Español.