NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
Los Angeles Nursing Home Neglect Lawyers
Tough representation when nursing home neglect causes harm to a California resident
Nursing homes in Los Angeles know that their residents need help. They know most residents have mobility problems, problems going to the bathroom, vision problems, and other physical problems. Los Angeles nursing homes know that many of their residents have cognitive impairments including dementia and Alzheimer’s. In short, they know that they are treating vulnerable, elderly people – and that neglecting them is both illegal and immoral.
At Garcia & Artigliere, our California nursing home neglect lawyers hold residential facilities accountable when they fail to prioritize the safety and health of their residents. Since 1993, we have helped thousands of seniors obtain just compensation for nursing home neglect. Our lawyers have participated in lawsuits that have led to more than $3 billion in recoveries for people in California and across America. We’ve helped thousands of our clients obtain strong settlements and verdicts for elder abuse and neglect and other claims. We’re ready to help you assert your rights in federal and state courts. Nursing home neglect claims protect you and the other residents of the Los Angeles nursing homes. Call us for help today.
NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
How can we help?
- How often does nursing home neglect happen?
- What types of nursing home neglect claims do you handle in Los Angeles?
- What types of injuries do residents suffer due to nursing home neglect in Los Angeles?
- What factors indicate nursing home neglect occurred in Los Angeles?
- What are the causes of nursing home neglect?
- What steps should I take is a Los Angeles nursing home neglects my loved one?
- What is the value of a California nursing home neglect claim?
- Do you have a nursing home neglect lawyer near me?
How often does nursing home neglect happen?
The number of seniors in America is growing now that the baby boom generation has reached retirement age. According to the US Census, there were nearly 6 million seniors 65 and older living in California in 2021. Nationwide that number is about 56 million. The National Center for Elder Abuse (NCEA), estimates that the number will grow to nearly 80 million by 2040. Of those millions of people, about 1.2 million live in Medicare certified nursing homes across the country.
In its annual report for 2021, the California Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program stated it investigated 40,178 complaints made by residents in long-term care facilities, and resolved about 63% of those complaints. The most common complaints were:
- Abuse, Gross Neglect, Exploitation 10,557 total complaints
- Care 10,162 total complaints
- Autonomy, choice, rights 4,155 total complaints
- Environment 3,177 total complaints
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines neglect as “the failure to meet an older adult’s basic needs. These needs include food, water, shelter, clothing, hygiene, and essential medical care.” Neglect also includes ignoring a resident’s physical, emotional, and social needs, or withholding food, medications, or access to health care.
What types of nursing home neglect claims do you handle in Los Angeles?
At Garcia & Artigliere, our Los Angeles nursing home neglect lawyers handle all types of nursing home neglect claims, including:
- Medical neglect
- The use of physical or chemical restraints
- Unsanitary conditions
- Poor hygiene
- Isolation of a resident
- Failure to take steps to address mobility challenges
- Poor nutrition which can cause malnutrition/dehydration
- Improper design of the facility, rooms, and hallways
- Failure to identify and respond to the abuse of the elderly
Nursing home neglect in Los Angels also includes the failure of a nursing home to identify and manage self-neglect, which occurs when a resident does not take steps to address his/her health needs. Los Angeles nursing homes should anticipate and take steps to address the cognitive difficulties of their residents which can lead to harm.
What types of injuries do residents suffer due to nursing home neglect in Los Angeles?
Garcia & Artigliere fights for Los Angeles nursing home residents who suffer any of the following injuries:
- Bedsores/ Pressure Ulcers. These injuries occur when residents stay in the same position for too long. Bedsores can be very painful, can become infections, and may cause permanent damage or even death.
- Bladder & Bowel Injuries. Our Los Angeles nursing home neglect attorneys file neglect claims when a nursing home does not help residents with diarrhea, constipation, incontinence, frequent nighttime urination, and other bodily function disorders.
- Broken Bones/Fractures. Most nursing home residents have mobility difficulties. Los Angeles nursing homes should create and implement fall prevention and fall-response strategies to reduce the risk and immediately get help for broken hips, legs, or other bone breaks.
- Head injuries. Many head injuries occur when a resident falls. Like broken bone neglect, nursing homes can be held liable for head injuries because the home failed to have fall prevention strategies in place.
- Scabies. Los Angeles nursing homes that fail to prioritize cleanliness and hygiene may be liable if the residents develop scabies which are mites that infest the skin. Scabies is very contagious.
- Strokes. Delays in treating the symptoms of stroke can cause serious disability or death. Some strokes can be treated very successfully if the proper blood-clotting drugs are administered promptly.
- Wrongful Death. Our lawyers file wrongful death claims on behalf of children and other family members if a loved dies due to nursing home neglect in Los Angeles.
What factors indicate nursing home neglect occurred in Los Angeles?
Family members and friends should regularly visit and communicate with the people they care about who are nursing home residents. Some of the signs and symptoms of nursing home neglect include:
- Difficulty walking or moving that is getting worse
- Poor hygiene includes not having clean clothes, not being properly groomed, not being shaved, and poor dental care
- Emotional difficulties include being withdrawn, depressed, irritable, anxious, angry, resentful, or afraid
- Poor nutrition signs include a poor diet and not having the proper amount of liquids
- Unexplained injuries and bruises
- Unkempt personal rooms
What are the causes of nursing home neglect?
Our Los Angeles nursing home neglect lawyers look for the following signs of neglect:
- A lack of qualified staff members. Los Angeles nursing homes need to prioritize the physical and emotional health of each resident by ensuring that there are qualified staff members to give each resident the full medical, emotional, physical, and general overall elder care they deserve.
- Not vetting the employees. Nursing homes should run background checks on new employees to examine if they have a prior criminal record, if there were complaints about their nursing home work, and if they have the proper credentials and qualifications.
- Failing to train the workers. Each nursing home worker should understand the nursing home’s policies and procedures. They should also understand the rights of each resident. The staff should be able to help residents with dementia, mobility problems, medications, and all other health risks that are common to nursing homes.
- Failing to develop and implement written policies and procedures for each known risk.
- Failing to develop and implement individual care plans for each resident.
At Garcia & Artigliere, our Los Angeles nursing home neglect lawyers have been strong highly effective advocates for nursing home residents since 1993. Our lawyers understand the federal and California laws and regulations that nursing homes must follow and the industry-wide standards that help protect the residents of these long-term care facilities. We are skilled at convincing insurance companies, defense lawyers, and juries why your loved one’s pain was preventable.
What steps should I take if Los Angeles nursing home neglects my loved one?
Seniors have specific elder care rights according to federal statute, the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and California law. These rights include the right to report grievances and file complaints. Our lawyers help residents notify nursing home management and file complaints with the California ombudsman’s office.
The best step you can take is to contact our seasoned elder care lawyers. We also file civil complaints in federal and California courts. Our Los Angeles nursing home neglect lawyers question every nursing home administrator, staff member, contractor, and volunteer who may have information about the lack of care. We examine all relevant nursing home records including prior complaints, inspections, medication documentation, and written policies and procedures. We’ll work with the resident’s physicians and our own network of doctors if necessary to show what injuries the resident has, the treatments required, the cost of the medical care, and all the ways the resident is suffering.
We file claims against every responsible party including the owners and managers of the Los Angeles nursing home, the workers, other residents, and anyone else who may have relevant information.
What is the value of a California nursing home neglect claim?
Our Los Angeles nursing home attorneys have obtained numerous million-dollar results. While each case is unique, we regularly seek compensation for all of the resident’s current and future:
- Medical expenses including emergency care, surgeries, hospitalizations, visits with physicians, rehabilitative therapy, medications, and assistive devices.
- Physical pain and emotional suffering
- Loss of function of any body part
- Loss of quality of life
We also seek compensation for any financial losses that may apply. If a loved one died, our lawyers file a wrongful death claim on behalf of the family members.
Do you have a nursing home neglect lawyer near me?
Garcia & Artigliere represents anyone who is injured while a resident of a Los Angeles nursing home and the families of loved ones if a resident died due to neglect. In 2022 alone, our lawyers obtained $50 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients. We’re ready to help you assert your rights now.
Get help now. If a California nursing homes is neglectful, call Garcia & Artigliere today
Nursing home residents deserve to enjoy their remaining years in as good a health condition as possible and as engaged with others as possible. Nursing home neglect is not excusable. Most nursing home neglect is easily preventable. At Garcia & Artigliere, we help injured Los Angeles nursing home residents live their best lives possible. Call or contact our offices now to schedule a free, confidential consultation. We represent nursing home residents and families throughout the country, and maintain additional offices in Long Beach, New Orleans, Phoenix, and Louisville. There are no upfront costs. We do not recover compensation unless there is a settlement or a verdict in your favor.
Se Habla Español.