- Founder Stephen M. Garcia has served as lead counsel in more than 2,500 elder and/or dependent adult abuse cases.
- Garcia & Artigliere has served as counsel on behalf on consumers throughout the United States in matters resulting in over $1.3 billion in settlements and jury verdicts.
- At Garcia & Artigliere, you will never be charged a fee - not even court costs or expenses - until we win your case.
- The firm is known for successfully handling the most complex cases of elder neglect and mistreatment.
Obtained a $38.6 million settlement, considered to be the largest Elder Abuse and Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act settlement (EADACPA) in ...
Elder abuse attorney Stephen M. Garcia successfully resolved a matter for an 87-year-old woman who was repeatedly sexually molested by the co-manager ...
Elder abuse attorney Stephen M. Garcia settled a California class action for $4.5 million and an Oregon class action for $1 million against a nursing ...
Elder abuse attorney Stephen M. Garcia obtained a $1.5 million verdict for the family of a woman who died from more than 10 pressure sores, many of ...
Elder abuse attorney Stephen M. Garcia obtained a judgment of more than $1.3 million against a residential care facility for elder abuse and wrongful ...
An elderly man was severely neglected by nursing home staff members and died as a result of the facility’s chronic under-staffing and under-budgeting. ...
Nursing homes and senior care facilities are legally obligated to meet certain standards of care to ensure the health and safety of their elderly residents. When the management or staff breach their legal duty to residents, they are guilty of nursing home neglect or abuse and should be held accountable for the pain and suffering they cause.
Some of the most common forms of nursing home abuse and neglect include:
- Bed Sores: The pressure caused by being in one position for too long can cause bed sores. These sores, which usually develop on bony areas, such as ankles, on the back or sides of the head, or hips, are a sign of negligence. Nursing home staff should be helping residents change position often enough to prevent them from getting bed sores.
- Prescription Drug Abuse: Medical staff at nursing homes may overprescribe medications in an attempt to control residents’ behavior. Staff may also give residents drugs that have not been prescribed for them. This is a risky practice that can increase impairment or even be fatal.
- Improper Use of Physical Restraints: Physical restraints, such as straps that keep people from falling out of wheelchairs, are helpful when used properly. However, excessive use of physical restraints can harm patients both physically and emotionally.
- Dehydration: People of all ages need to drink enough fluids every day to remain healthy, but elderly people are even more sensitive to dehydration than younger people. Nursing home staff need to make sure that residents stay hydrated. When staff is negligent, and residents don’t get the fluids that they need, the residents can deteriorate rapidly. Early signs of dehydration include confusion, rapid breathing, and fainting. Long-term damage from dehydration can cause kidney failure, seizures, or death.
- Poor Nutrition: Proper nutrition is essential for the health of elderly people. Nursing homes need to provide nutritious foods and ensure that residents have enough to eat. Poor nutrition can cause physical and mental deterioration. It can worsen existing health conditions. Over time, it can be fatal.
The legal team at Garcia & Artigliere has been defending the rights of nursing home victims since 1993! We've recovered millions in compensation for victims and their families in complex cases of elder abuse and neglect across the country. Call (504) 608-4251 to speak to an experienced New Orleans nursing home abuse lawyer about your case.
"Steve is a force to be reckoned with and has fought against some of the biggest companies in the United States."
- Anrets L.
"I was pleased with the final outcome of the case and felt that Mr. Garcia especially went out of his way to ensure a successful settlement on our behalf."
- Kathy W.
"I cannot be happier with the results! If you ever need to defend an older parent from abuse, neglect, etc. this is the law firm you need on your side!"
- Michael B.
We offer a free, no-obligation, and confidential consultation. At Garcia &
Artigliere there is no fee - not even court costs - unless we win your
case. Call (504) 608-4251 Today!