Types of Abuse in Residential Care & Assisted Living Facilities
Nursing homes and assisted living care are licensed facilities that must meet state and federal requirements. When they fail to do so, elder abuse can occur.
The following are common types of nursing home abuse:
- Physical abuse
- Verbal and emotional abuse
- Bedsores caused by neglect
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Falls caused by lack of supervision
- Bowel and bladder injuries
- Untreated infections
- Broken bones and fractures
- Wandering off/elopement
- Financial exploitation
- Sexual abuse
Medication Mistakes & Negligence in Nursing Homes
According to the National Academy of Science’s Institute of Medicine, “preventable medication errors result in more than 7,000 deaths each year in hospitals and tens of thousands more in outpatient facilities.” Medical oversight can result in giving the patient wrong medication, a combination of medications, or the wrong dosage. Medical inconsistencies can also be the result of misread medical script, the wrong prescription all together, allergic reactions to the medication they were prescribed, or incorrect charting of the medication by the staff.
When you pay a nursing home for the care of your loved one, you expect a high level of care. Nursing home facilities are expected to follow state and federal guidelines. When an elderly resident of a nursing home or a dependent adult receives medical care that falls below the accepted standard of care and suffers serious injuries and fatalities, it is considered negligence.
The following are examples of medical negligence at nursing homes:
- Failure to provide an examination, evaluation, or treatment
- Failure to provide a test an elderly person might need
- Delay necessary treatment
- Provide the wrong treatment
- Failure to follow up on the medical condition
- A misdiagnosis or delay in diagnosis
- Performing unnecessary surgery
- Prescribing unnecessary or wrong medication
If you feel an elder person has been abused or neglected, it is important to get help right away. Our nursing home abuse attorneys at Garcia & Artigliere have extensive experience handling nursing home neglect and abuse cases. When you contact our offices for a free consultation, you can find out more about how we can help you and your loved one seek justice.