NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
Phoenix Nursing Home Neglect Lawyers
Strong advocacy when nursing home neglect harms Arizona residents
Nursing homes in Phoenix should anticipate the full range of health problems their residents will have. They should know that many residents will have difficulty walking, sleeping, seeing, hearing, going to the bathroom, and living with pain and anxiety. Nursing homes in Phoenix know that many of their residents will have dementia, Alzheimer, and other cognitive impairments. In summary, the administrators and staff should take every precaution possible to help their residents function and maximize their quality of life.
At Garcia & Artigliere, our Phoenix nursing home neglect lawyers have 150+ years of combined experience fighting for the elderly in Arizona and nationwide. Since 1993, we have helped thousands of nursing home residents, seniors, and others obtain more than $3 billion in settlements and verdicts. Our lawyers are respected by former clients, nursing homes, and the legal community for our ability to persuasively assert the rights of the elderly. We’re ready to file your nursing home abuse and neglect claim in the federal or state courts of Arizona. Call us now to discuss your rights.
NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
How can we help?
- How common is nursing home neglect?
- What types of Phoenix nursing home neglect claims do you handle?
- What type of harm does neglect by Phoenix nursing homes cause?
- What factors indicate nursing home neglect occurred in Los Angeles?
- What are the causes of nursing home neglect in Phoenix?
- What should I do if nursing home neglect occurs in Arizona?
- How much is my Arizona nursing home neglect claim worth?
- Do you have a nursing home neglect lawyer near me?
How common is nursing home neglect?
The elderly population is increasing in Arizona and Nationwide as the baby boomers born after WII are now reaching retirement age. According to the US Census, nearly 1.34 million seniors 65 and older lived in Arizona in 2021. About 56 million seniors 65 and older lived in the US in 2021.
Estimates from the National Center for Elder Abuse (NCEA) are that by 2040, the number of seniors 65 and older will be nearly 80 million. Many seniors now and in the future live/will live in Medicare-certified nursing homes.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines neglect as “the failure to meet an older adult’s basic needs.” Common needs for Phoenix nursing home residents include food, shelter, clothing, water, hygiene, and medical care. Nursing home neglect also includes ignoring a resident’s physical, social, and emotional needs.
What types of Phoenix nursing home neglect claims do you handle?
At Garcia & Artigliere, our Phoenix nursing home neglect lawyers represent seniors and other nursing home residents who suffer harm due to:
- Medical neglect
- Chemical or physical restrains
- Unclean conditions
- Being isolated
- Poor hygiene
- Failing to anticipate mobility challenges
- Poor nutrition which can cause dehydration/malnutrition
- Faulty design of the facility, hallways, and residential rooms
- Failing to identify and prevent elder abuse
Another type of neglect our lawyers handle is self-neglect. Self-neglect happens when residents don’t take care of their own healthcare needs – especially if they have cognitive impairments.
What type of harm does neglect by Phoenix nursing homes cause?
At, Garcia & Artigliere, our elderly neglect lawyers fight for Arizona nursing home residents who suffer any type of injuries including:
- Bedsores/ Pressure Ulcers. Nursing homes must anticipate that these painful injuries will occur if the residents stay in the same position for too long. Bedsores complications include infections and death.
- Bladder & Bowel Injuries. Our Phoenix nursing home neglect lawyers represent nursing home residents when the staff fails to help residents who have difficulty going to the bathroom. Common problems include constipation, diarrhea, incontinence, urinating frequently at night, and other bodily function disorders.
- Broken Bones/Fractures. Nursing homes in Arizona should have fall prevention and fall-response strategies to minimize the possibility of broken hips, arms, legs, and other types of fractures.
- Head trauma. Falls are also a common cause of traumatic brain injuries, concussions, and other types of head trauma.
- Scabies. Unsanitary conditions and poor hygiene can cause scabies, a very contagious skin condition caused by mites.
- Strokes. Nursing homes must move quickly to help a resident with life-saving care, such as clot-busting drugs, if a resident shows the signs of a stroke.
- Wrongful Death. Our attorneys represent families when a loved one dies due to nursing home neglect in Phoenix.
What factors indicate nursing home neglect occurred in Los Angeles?
The relatives and friends who visit and speak with Phoenix nursing home residents should look for and seek help if the following signs and symptoms of nursing home neglect are present:
- The resident is having problems walking or getting into and out of a chair, bed, or bathtub.
- The resident isn’t wearing different clothes, is not shaved or groomed, or has dental problems.
- The resident is upset, withdrawn, sad, irritable, or afraid.
- Your loved one is not eating his/her meals and drinking the proper amount of liquids.
- Injuries such as bruises that cannot be explained.
- Personal rooms that are messy.
What are the causes of nursing home neglect in Phoenix?
Some of the factors that support a claim of nursing home abuse in Arizona are:
- Not having enough qualified staff members. Phoenix nursing homes should have enough employees and other staff who have the proper credentials and training to help each resident with his/her healthcare, physical, emotional, and social needs.
- Not running background checks. Nursing homes should run formal inquiries to determine if anyone working for the nursing homes has the proper licenses and credentials and does not have a criminal record or a record of complaints that would indicate the worker is a risk to the residents.
- Not educating the nursing home staff. Every member of a Phoenix nursing home should understand the policies, procedures, and guidelines of the nursing homes. The staff members should know what rights residents have. Staff members should be able to respond to strokes, administer the correct medications, and manage the other problems that seniors are likely to have.
- Failing to create and implement written policies and procedures for each known risk.
- Failing to create and implement a care plan for each resident
At Garcia & Artigliere, our Phoenix nursing home neglect lawyers understand the federal and Arizona laws and regulations that govern nursing home care. We also understand standard nursing home “best practices.” We’re skilled at showing nursing homes failed in their duty of care and how that failure caused your loved one harm.
What should I do if nursing home neglect occurs in Arizona?
Nursing home residents in Phoenix have specific elder care rights. These rights are based on federal law, regulations by the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, and Arizona law. Nursing home rights in Arizona also include the right to report and file complaints. Our attorneys help residents and the people who care about the residents file complaints with the Arizona ombudsman's office on behalf of residents
Anyone with knowledge or concerns about an assisted living, behavioral health, long-term care, or medical facility may file a complaint in writing. Most complaints are filed by residents, family members, concerned friends, a guardian of a resident, facility staff members, other health professionals, and an ombudsman.
The Arizona Department for Economic Security has more information about the long-term care ombudsman program in Arizona.
We strongly recommend that residents, their families, and guardians contact our respected Phoenix nursing home neglect lawyers. We have the experience and resources to question everyone involved, conduct formal discovery of everyone involved, seek records of prior problems and any other relevant records, and take other steps to show the nursing home neglected to provide competent care. We also work with medical professionals to show what injuries the resident has, what treatments will be needed, and what type of trauma the resident will expect to experience – for the rest of his/her life.
Our seasoned nursing home lawyers file claims against the nursing homes, the owners and managers, the nursing staff, other residents, and anyone else who may have caused the resident harm or caused the resident to die.
How much is my Arizona nursing home neglect claim worth?
Our Phoenix nursing home lawyers have helped thousands of seniors obtain the full compensation they deserve for nursing home neglect and other types of wrongs. Our lawyers are skilled at showing why nursing homes should be liable and showing what compensation the resident deserves.
We demand compensation for the resident’s current and future:
- Medical costs including emergency room care, hospital care, surgeries, doctor visits, rehabilitative therapy, psychological care, assistive devices, and medications
- Daily physical pain and emotional suffering
- Inability to use any body part
- Loss of quality of life
Our team also seeks compensation for any financial losses that may apply.
If a loved one tragically died, we seek wrongful death damages for the family members
Do you have a nursing home neglect lawyer near me?
Garcia & Artigliere represents nursing home residents and the families of loved ones if neglect caused a loved one to die. In 2022 alone, our attorneys obtained $50 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients. We’re ready to fight for you today.
Get help now. Call Garcia & Artigliere today if an Arizona nursing home is neglectful
Residents of nursing homes in Arizona have the right to trust that the facilities they live in will prioritize their physical and emotional care. With proper planning, strategies, and monitoring – nursing homes should be able to prevent most types of injuries. At Garcia & Artigliere, we’re respected for our records of successfully holding Phoenix nursing homes accountable when their neglect hurts a resident. Call or contact our offices now to schedule a free, confidential consultation. In addition to Phoenix, we have offices in Long Beach, Los Angeles, New Orleans, and Louisville. There are no upfront costs. We only receive compensation if there is a settlement or a verdict in your favor.
Se Habla Español.