NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
California Elder Abuse Lawyers
California attorneys offering tough representation on behalf of abused seniors
All seniors should enjoy their remaining years in the best health possible. Sadly, many seniors (any person 60 or older) are often physically, emotionally, and sexually abused. Many seniors suffer from gross neglect at long-time care facilities and from private caretakers. Elder residents of California who have dementia or Alzheimer’s have an increased risk of being taken advantage of or neglected. At Garcia & Artigliere, our California elder abuse lawyers have more than 150 years of combined experience fighting for the elderly. Our recoveries total more than $3 billion nationwide. We’re ready to help you today.
NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
How can our California elder abuse lawyers help?
What is elder abuse?
At Garcia & Artigliere, our California elder abuse laws represent victims of elder abuse in all types of abuse actions involving assisted living facilities, nursing homes, and private caretakers. We handle the following types of abuse claims:
- Physical abuse. Physical abuse involves any type of forceful contact including slapping, punching, punching, pushing, or striking an elderly person. The use of physical or chemical restraints is another type of physical abuse.
- Emotional abuse. This type of abuse is also known as psychological abuse. Emotional abuse includes words or actions that are designed to intimidate a senior, to make a senior fearful, or to make a senior feel bad in some way. Examples include yelling, ignoring a senior, isolating a senior from friends and social activities, and other belittling actions.
- Sexual abuse. This abuse involves forcing an elderly person to participate in or watch sexual acts without the victim’s consent. Sexual abuse includes assaults, rape, and promises of kinder treatment in return for sex. Seniors with dementia are common victims. Sexual abuse also involved resident-on-resident assaults.
- Neglect. Elder abuse includes many different types of healthcare injuries, including dehydration, malnutrition, bowel and bladder disorders, medication mistakes, and failure to create personalized healthcare plans. Some of the common causes of nursing home neglect and private caretaker neglect are overwork, lack of staffing, and lack of quality training.
The National Institute of Aging states hundreds of thousands of seniors are abused, neglected, or financially exploited every year.
What are the signs of elder abuse in California?
Our California elder abuse lawyers recommend that family members and friends of seniors regularly visit with the elderly people they’re close to. When visitors are being cared for by other people or businesses, the visitors should look for the following signs of abuse:
Physical abuse signs:
- Pressure marks, burns, cuts, and bruises that can’t be explained.
- Bedsores/pressure ulcers
- Poor hygiene, dirty clothes, and poor grooming
- Lack of care for personal aids, such as walkers, dentures, and hearing aids
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Bowel and bladder disorders
- Broken bones
- Difficulty sleeping
- Weight loss that can’t be explained
- Signs a senior isn’t taking his/her medications
- Physical pain
- Signs of the use of physical or chemical restraints
Emotional abuse signs:
- Rocking back and forth
- Nonparticipation in nursing home activities or social activities
- Anxiety, irritation, and depression
- Feeling unhappy or helpless
- Signs of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
The signs of sexual abuse may include signs of physical abuse and emotional abuse. Any complaints by your loved one about their sexual parts are a cause for concern.
Other signs of elder abuse neglect in California include:
- Medication mistakes
- Wandering and elopement
- Failing to respect the rights of seniors
What should California seniors or families do when mistreatment of the elderly occurs?
Many seniors are unable to act for themselves after they’ve been abused due to cognitive disability, fear, and other challenges. Most seniors in California who suffer from abuse rely on family and friends to help them.
Some of the preventive measures that family and friends should take to help seniors who are being abused include:
- Visit regularly at different times of the day. Speak with seniors in the care of others by phone and email if you can’t visit personally
- Observe the staff to determine if they are responding to and caring for the seniors properly
- Check to see that the senior is taking his/her medications
- Ask to examine your loved one’s accounts to ensure that there are no unauthorized transactions
- Observe your loved one’s interactions with other residents if your loved one is in a nursing home or another type of long-term care facility. Long-term care facilities include:
- Assisted living facilities
- Adult family homes
- Continuing care retirement communities
- Medical foster care
- Memory care
- Nursing homes
- Retirement living/independent living
- Skilled nursing facilities.
Some of the steps family and friends can take if they suspect a loved one is being abused are:
- Report any signs of nursing home abuse to the California Long-Term Care Ombudsman. This agency investigates claims of elder abuse and tries to achieve a solution to protect each senior.
- Contact our experienced California elder abuse lawyers. We help seniors and their personal advocates file claims with the police, protective services agencies, and the local ombudsman. We’ll explain the rights each senior has. Our legal advocates also file claims against nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and other business and personal caretakers for abuse and neglect.
How do your California elder abuse lawyers fight for abused or neglected seniors?
At Garcia & Artigliere, our California trial lawyers are dedicated to helping ensure that every senior is safe, properly cared for, and respected. Our team works with seniors and families to fully understand what type of abuse occurred and why it occurred. We fight aggressively with insurance companies and in court to ensure that the abusers and any entity that could have stopped the abuse are held accountable for the physical, emotional, or sexual abuse of any elderly person in California.
We file personal injury claims for abuse and neglect on behalf of seniors who are armed. Our California senior abuse lawyers file wrongful death claims on the family’s behalf if abuse caused a loved one to die.
At Garcia & Artigliere, we have handled more than 3,500 elder and dependent adult neglect and abuse cases across America. Our achievements include:
- Acted as counsel in the largest Elder Abuse and Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act settlement in California history. The settlement was for more than $38,600,00
- Obtained more than $19,000,000.00 in an arbitration award involving medical devices
- Represented many class action claims including obtaining more than $100,000,000.00 in awards for afflicted elder and dependent adults in those actions
- Secured more than 50 million-dollar and million-dollar-plus settlements and verdicts
Do you have a California elder abuse lawyer near me?
Garcia & Artigliere represents victims of elder abuse throughout California. We maintain offices in Long Beach and Los Angeles. In 2022 alone, our lawyers obtained $50 million in settlements and verdicts for our clients. We’re ready to help you assert your rights now.
Get help now. Call the California elder abuse lawyers at Garcia & Artigliere today
At Garcia & Artigliere, we demand that the people and businesses that violate their duty to care for the elderly are held accountable for the harm they cause parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, and other seniors.
Call or contact our offices now to schedule a free, confidential consultation. We proudly serve California, including Long Beach and Los Angeles. Our California elder abuse lawyers maintain additional offices in New Orleans, Phoenix, and Louisville. There are no upfront costs. We handle elder abuse claims on a contingency fee basis.
Se Habla Español.