NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
Sacramento Elder Abuse Lawyers
Sacramento elder abuse attorneys offering tough representation on behalf of abused seniors
Seniors should cherish their later years, yet a significant number of individuals aged 60 and above frequently endure physical, emotional, and sexual mistreatment. Instances of severe neglect are common in both long-term care facilities and among private caretakers. California elders who are struggling with dementia or Alzheimer's face a greater vulnerability to exploitation and negligence. At Garcia & Artigliere, our Sacramento elder abuse attorneys bring over 150 years of collective expertise in advocating for the elderly. We have successfully recovered over $3 billion nationwide and are prepared to assist you today.
NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
How can our Sacramento elder abuse lawyers help?
What is elder abuse?
At Garcia & Artigliere, our Sacramento elder abuse lawyers advocate for those suffering from elder abuse in numerous actions within assisted living facilities, nursing homes, and private caretakers. We address various forms of elder abuse, including:
- Physical abuse: Any forceful contact, such as slapping, punching, pushing, or striking an elderly person. The use of physical or chemical restraints is also considered a form of physical abuse.
- Sexual abuse: Forcing an elderly person to participate in or witness sexual acts without their consent. This type of elder abuse includes assaults, rape, coercive promises for better treatment in exchange for sex, and resident-on-resident assaults. Unfortunately, seniors with dementia are common victims.
- Neglect: Various healthcare injuries, such as dehydration, malnutrition, bowel and bladder disorders, medication errors, and the failure to develop personalized healthcare plans. Frequent causes of neglect include overwork, understaffing, and insufficient quality training.
According to the National Institute of Aging, hundreds of thousands of seniors experience abuse, neglect, or financial exploitation annually.
What are the signs of elder abuse in Sacramento?
Our elder abuse attorneys in Sacramento advise that close family members and friends of seniors should regularly visit the elderly individuals they know. When elderly people are under the care of others or institutions, visitors should be vigilant for the following indicators of abuse:
Indications of physical abuse:
- Unexplained pressure marks, burns, cuts, and bruises
- Bedsores or pressure ulcers
- Poor hygiene, dirty clothing, and inadequate grooming
- Neglect of personal aids, such as walkers, dentures, and hearing aids
- Malnutrition and dehydration
- Bowel and bladder disorders
- Broken bones
- Difficulty sleeping
- Unexplained weight loss
- Signs of a senior neglecting medications
- Physical pain
- Signs of using physical or chemical restraints
Indications of emotional abuse:
- Rocking back and forth
- Nonparticipation in nursing home or social activities
- Anxiety, irritation, and depression
- Feelings of unhappiness or helplessness
- Signs of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
Signs of sexual abuse might include symptoms of both physical and emotional abuse. Any complaints from your loved one regarding their sexual well-being should be taken seriously.
Additional Signs of elder abuse neglect in Sacramento include:
- Medication errors
- Wandering and elopement
Failure to respect the rights of seniors
What should Sacramento seniors or families do when mistreatment of the elderly occurs?
After experiencing abuse, many seniors face challenges such as cognitive disability, fear, and other obstacles that hinder their ability to advocate for themselves. In Sacramento, the majority of abused seniors rely on the support of family and friends. Here are some recommended actions family and friends can take to address and prevent elder abuse:
- Visit regularly at different times of the day and maintain communication via phone or email if personal visits are impossible.
- Observe the behavior of staff to ensure proper care and responsiveness to the seniors.
- Verify that the senior is consistently taking prescribed medications.
- Scrutinize financial accounts to identify any unauthorized transactions.
- Monitor interactions with other residents if the loved one is in a long-term care facility, including assisted living facilities, adult family homes, continuing care retirement communities, medical foster care, memory care, nursing homes, retirement living, and skilled nursing facilities.
If there are suspicions of abuse, family and friends can take the following steps:
- Report any signs of nursing home abuse to the Sacramento Area 4 Agency on Aging, an agency dedicated to investigating claims of elder abuse and finding solutions to protect seniors.
- Seek assistance from experienced Sacramento elder abuse lawyers who can help file claims with the police, protective services agencies, and the local ombudsman. These legal advocates explain the rights of each senior and pursue claims against nursing homes, assisted living facilities, and other caretakers for abuse and neglect.
How do your Sacramento elder abuse lawyers fight for abused or neglected seniors?
At Garcia & Artigliere, our Sacramento elder abuse attorneys are committed to ensuring the safety, proper care, and respect of every senior. Our team collaborates with seniors and their families to thoroughly comprehend the nature and reasons behind any abuse. We vigorously advocate against insurance companies and in court to ensure accountability for those responsible for physical, emotional, or sexual abuse of elderly individuals in Sacramento, including entities that could have prevented the abuse.
We initiate personal injury claims on behalf of abused and neglected seniors, and our Sacramento elder abuse lawyers pursue wrongful death claims if abuse results in the death of a loved one.
The attorneys at Garcia & Artigliere have handled over 3,500 elder and dependent adult neglect and abuse cases nationwide. Our accomplishments include:
- Serving as counsel in the largest settlement under the Elder Abuse and Dependent Adult Civil Protection Act in California history, exceeding $38,600,000.
- Obtaining an arbitration award of more than $19,000,000 related to medical devices.
- Representing numerous class action claims, securing over $100,000,000 in awards for affected elder and dependent adults.
Achieving more than 50 settlements and verdicts in excess of one million dollars.
Do you have a Sacramento elder abuse lawyer near me?
Garcia & Artigliere advocates for elder abuse victims in Sacramento and across California, with offices located in both Long Beach and Los Angeles. In the year 2022 alone, our legal team secured settlements and verdicts totaling $50 million for our clients. We are prepared to assist you in asserting your rights today.
Call the Sacramento elder abuse lawyers at Garcia & Artigliere today
At Garcia & Artigliere, we hold individuals and entities accountable for failing in their obligation to care for the elderly, causing harm to parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles, siblings, and other seniors.
To schedule a free, confidential consultation with one of our experienced Sacramento elder abuse lawyers, call or contact our offices. We have offices in Long Beach and Los Angeles and serve clients throughout California.