Elder Physical Abuse


This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

Harbor City Physical Abuse of the Elderly Lawyers

Help for your elderly loved one from our Harbor City physical abuse attorneys

At Garcia & Artigliere, our experienced Harbor City abuse of the elderly lawyers recognize the severity of physical abuse and are dedicated to providing compassionate and resolute advocacy for those who have suffered harm. Whether the abuse occurred in nursing homes, care facilities, or within family settings, our mission is to hold responsible parties accountable and seek justice for our elderly clients. If you or a loved one has been a victim of physical abuse, trust us to remain by your side in the pursuit of justice and ensuring the safety and dignity of your loved one. Get in touch with us today for compassionate assistance.


This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.

What is elder abuse?

Elder abuse, per the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), is “an intentional act or failure to act that causes or creates a risk of harm to an older adult. An older adult is someone age 60 or older. The abuse occurs at the hands of a caregiver or a person the elder trusts.”

What is physical abuse in Harbor City?

The CDC also notes that "Physical abuse" is when an elder experiences illness, pain, injury, functional impairment, distress, or death as a result of the intentional use of physical force and includes acts such as hitting, kicking, pushing, slapping, and burning.”

It includes actions like:

  • Hitting, slapping, kicking, or punching
  • Pushing, shoving, or throwing
  • Restraining or confining
  • Overmedication or medication mismanagement
  • Denying basic needs
  • Sexual abuse

It's important to recognize that even one incident of physical abuse can have severe consequences for an older adult, both physically and psychologically. Talk to our Harbor City elder physical abuse attorneys today if you believe a loved one is being physically harmed in someone else’s care.

What are the signs of physical elder abuse?

It is important to keep a close eye on your loved one for signs of physical abuse. These can include:

  • “Unexplained or implausible injuries
  • multiple ED visits; healthcare ‘shopping’
  • broken bones, dislocations, sprains
  • multiple injuries in various stages of healing
  • internal injuries
  • head/facial trauma, black eyes, detached retina, ear injuries
  • traumatic, patchy hair loss
  • broken glasses
  • swelling, pinch marks, hand slap or finger marks
  • bruises, especially when not over bony prominences
  • scratches, cuts, lacerations, punctures
  • burns - cigarette, immersion line, or in the shape of hot object such as an iron
  • restraint marks on axilla, wrists or ankles
  • aspiration/choking from forced feeding”

There are also some caregiver red flags you should look out for, including:

  • Patient doesn’t want to be left alone with caregiver
  • Patient is hesitant to talk around caregiver
  • Caregiver refuses to allow patient to be seen alone
  • Caregiver seems to isolate patient from family, friends, information, and activities
  • Caregiver denies patient’s rights to make decision, privacy, living arrangements, personal matters, or healthcare choices
  • Caregiver is verbally abusive to you or the patient
  • Caregiver is financially dependent on the patient

If you notice any of these warning signs, it is important to talk to your loved one to find out what is going on. Our Harbor City elder physical abuse lawyers can also launch an investigation into your loved one’s situation, and work to hold the accountable parties responsible for their actions.

What is domestic vs. institutional physical abuse?

With domestic elder physical abuse, it means the abuse is being committed by someone with whom the senior has a close or family relationship. This could include a spouse, child, sibling, caregiver, or other close associate.

Institutional elder physical abuse, however, occurs in a residential facility – like nursing homes or assisted living facilities. This type of abuse is often perpetrated by someone with an obligation to provide care and protection to the patient, like a staff member or nurse.

How do I report suspected physical abuse of my elderly loved one in Harbor City?

Physical abuse is a crime that involves assault and battery. If you believe your vulnerable loved one is being physically abused, it is your responsibility to report it to the authorities. Here are steps you can take to report such abuse:

  • Emergency assistance: If the elderly person is in immediate danger or requires urgent medical attention, call emergency services (911) for immediate assistance.
  • Contact Adult Protective Services (APS): In the United States, Adult Protective Services is a government agency that investigates and intervenes in cases of elder abuse. You can find your local APS office here.
  • Law enforcement: If you believe a crime has been committed (and remember, physical abuse is a crime), contact your local law enforcement agency to report the physical abuse. They can conduct an investigation and take appropriate legal action.
  • Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program: If the abuse occurred in a nursing home or long-term care facility, contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman They advocate for residents' rights and can investigate complaints.
  • Healthcare providers: If the physical abuse is related to medical care, consult healthcare providers, such as doctors or nurses, who can document injuries and provide medical assistance. They may also be mandatory reporters and will inform the appropriate authorities.
  • Family and friends: Reach out to other family members, friends, or neighbors who may be able to provide support or corroborate your concerns. They may also serve as witnesses during investigations.
  • Document evidence: If it is safe to do so, document any visible injuries, take photographs, and make notes about the circumstances of the abuse. This evidence may be valuable during investigations.

Finally, ensure you consult with a Harbor City attorney with experience in elder abuse to understand your legal options and ensure the protection of your loved one's rights. At Garcia & Artigliere, we can help.

Remember, reporting suspected abuse is an important step in stopping further harm and holding those responsible accountable. Acting promptly and involving the appropriate authorities can help ensure the safety of your elderly loved one.


Do you have a Harbor City elder abuse attorney near me?

Garcia & Artigliere has offices at 2029 Century Park East, Suite 400, in Los Angeles. We’re located between Constellation Boulevard and W. Olympic Boulevard. We can also arrange video calls or off-site visits if you are unable to travel due to your condition.

Compassionate Harbor City physical abuse of the elderly lawyers

If you suspect or have evidence of physical abuse against an elderly loved one, it's imperative to take swift action to protect their well-being and seek justice. Our dedicated team of elder physical abuse attorneys at Garcia & Artigliere has years of experience in cases of physical abuse of the elderly and is committed to being a strong advocate for victims. We understand the sensitivity of these cases and are here to provide the legal support needed to hold accountable those responsible for inflicting harm on our elderly community members. Call our offices or contact us today to set up a free consultation. Garcia & Artigliere has offices in Long Beach and Los Angeles and serve clients throughout California.