NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
Lawyers Handling Claims of Sexual Abuse of the Elderly in San Bernardino
Insistent advocacy from San Bernardino elder sexual abuse attorneys when seniors are abused by caretakers, residents, or others
Any type of sexual abuse of any senior is unimaginable. Yet, sexual abuse by caretakers, residents of nursing homes, and visitors to long-term care facilities happens all too often. Sexual abuse should be prevented. Caretakers in California should anticipate when, why, and how sexual abuse may occur – and take preventive action. Elder sexual abuse victims often never recover. Sadly, many victims have dementia, which means they can’t even remember what happened. At Garcia & Artigliere, our San Bernardino sexual abuse lawyers have been fighting for the elderly since 1993. We’ve obtained more than 50 million-dollar-plus recoveries and more than $3 billion in total. To obtain justice for an older relative or friend who has been sexually abused by a caretaker or other individual, call us now.
NO RECOVERY NO FEE Free Case Review
How can our San Bernardino sexual abuse lawyers help?
- What is sexual abuse of the elderly?
- What are the signs an elderly person in San Bernardino has been sexually abused?
- Why are the elderly sexually abused in San Bernardino?
- Who is liable for the sexual abuse of seniors in San Bernardino?
- How much is a San Bernardino sexual abuse claim worth?
- Do you have a San Bernardino sexual abuse lawyer near me?
What is sexual abuse of the elderly?
Sexual abuse of seniors is dreadful. The elderly should never have to cope with the complete indignity of being taken advantage of or abused sexually. Unfortunately, the reality is that some caretakers to sexually abuse the people in their care. Some visitors act unconscionably. Some residents of long-term care facilities abuse other residents. Nursing homes and all caretakers should take preventive measures to prevent sexual abuse and be especially cautious when the people in their care have cognitive impairments, such as Alzheimer’s or dementia. Seniors with cognitive impairments can’t remember what happened so they don’t report the abuse – which is why other people need to help them.
The US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention defines sexual abuse of the elderly as conduct that “involves forced or unwanted sexual interaction of any kind with an older adult.” Sexual abuse includes sexual contact or penetration that is not consensual. Sexual abuse in San Bernardino also includes sexual harassment and other non-contact sexual conduct. Seniors are people who are 60 years of age or older.
The consequences of sexual abuse are scary. Many elderly sexual abuse victims know and trust their abusers, which makes the abuse all the more horrible. The harm to the senior begins with a loss of trust. Seniors who are raped, sexually assaulted, or sexually abused may suffer physical harm. All victims are likely to suffer a combination of fear, anger, depression, withdrawal, and shock. Some victims may be suicidal.
What are the signs an elderly person in San Bernardino has been sexually abused?
Family members, friends, and everyone who cares for a senior should understand the signs of sexual abuse and seek help from our San Bernardino elder abuse attorneys. Common signs of sexual abuse of the elderly include:
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Post-traumatic stress disorder
- Pelvic injuries
- Genital injuries including bleeding and bruises
- Difficulty walking or standing
- Undergarments that are ripped, bleeding, or disheveled
- Anxiety, fear, withdrawal, and depression
- Changes in eating habits
- Changes in sleeping patterns
- Suicide attempts
At Garcia & Artigliere, our San Bernardino sexual abuse attorneys strongly recommend that any senior who shows signs of sexual abuse be immediately examined and treated by doctors and other healthcare professionals who specialize in rape and sexual assault trauma. In addition to treating physical and emotional injuries, these professionals, such as forensic nurses, will help ensure that DNA evidence, photos, and reports of the sexual abuse are preserved so they can be used to verify the sexual assault.
Our San Bernardino sexual abuse attorneys fight for sexual abuse of all sexual identities.
Why are the elderly sexually abused in San Bernardino?
Some of the reasons seniors are targets of sexual abuse include:
- They’re not likely to resist
- Many won’t remember what happened
- Many won’t file a complaint due to lack of memory or fear of further abuse
- Many senior care doctors focus on many other elder care problems, such as arthritis, before even considering conducting a sexual examination
Another reason for sexual abuse of the elderly at long-term care facilities is opportunity. Private or semi-private rooms make it easy for a sexual abuser to commit sexual abuse without being seen or heard. Strategies like an open-door policy can help.
Who is liable for the sexual abuse of seniors in San Bernardino?
At Garcia & Artigliere, our San Bernardino sexual abuse lawyers have been fighting for the elderly for more than 30 years. We understand how outrageous it is for caretakers to fail to prioritize protecting your loved one from sexual abuse. The causes and the preventive measures are well-known.
In addition to the person who commits the abuse, our elder abuse lawyers file claims against long-term care facilities, assisted living facilities, nursing homes, adult daycare facilities, and in-home caretakers.
Caretakers may be liable for sexual abuse for:
- Failing to conduct background checks on new hires and current hires
- Understaffing, which would have helped ensure your loved one was cared for by more than one person
- Failing to train staff members about how to recognize and respond to sexual abuse
- Failing to provide a reporting system
- Failing to identify the people who have cognitive disabilities and the residents who might commit sexual abuse
- Failing to produce and implement written policies and procedures to prevent sexual abuse
- Failing to ensure your loved one receives immediate medical care
Failing to contact the police, the local ombudsman, and local adult protection agencies
How much is a San Bernardino sexual abuse claim worth?
At Garcia & Artigliere, our San Bernardino sexual abuse lawyers have more than 150 years of combined experience fighting for the elderly. Our team has obtained more than $3 billion in recoveries.
Our elder abuse lawyers work with elder care doctors and sexual assault professionals to verify the sexual assault and to provide your loved one with the best physical and emotional care possible.
We demand compensation for each abused senior’s:
- Medical costs, which include the cost of treating bruises, cuts, bleeding, infections, and other physical disorders. Medical costs also include psychological help, which seniors usually need for the rest of their lives.
- Daily physical pain
- Daily emotional suffering
- Loss of life’s pleasures
- Loss of trust
- Physical and emotional scars
When sexual abuse of the elderly occurs, we regularly demand that the abuser and caretaker pay punitive damages for their horrifying conduct.
In one illustrative case, founding lawyer Stephen M. Garcia obtained $5.4 million on behalf of a senior who was 87 years old. A co-manager of a residential care facility sexually molested the woman. The nursing home failed to inform the Department of Social Services or Adult Protective Services of the sexual acts. The nursing home also failed to fire the co-manager, which enabled the co-manager to flee.
Do you have a San Bernardino sexual abuse lawyer near me?
Garcia & Artigliere represents San Bernardino sexual assault victims. We meet clients at our California locations, by video conference, and at the senior’s residence or a friendly place when necessary. We’ll fight to secure justice and restore your loved one’s confidence.
Contact the experienced San Bernardino sexual abuse lawyers at Garcia & Artigliere now
At Garcia & Artigliere, our San Bernardino elderly sexual abuse lawyers fight to restore the humanity, sense of justice, and self-esteem of every sexual assault victim. We help victims of sexual assault receive the physical and psychological help they deserve. We hold the abusers and their enablers accountable. We’re skilled at the unique challenge of filing elder abuse claims when a victim has dementia or Alzheimer’s.
To schedule a free, confidential consultation with one of our experienced San Bernadino elder sexual abuse lawyers, call or contact our offices. Garcia & Artigliere has offices in Long Beach and Los Angeles and serve clients throughout California.
Se Habla Español.