It is a shame, yet we see it every day. Elder abuse from friends, family members, and associates who steal straight from an individual’s account. Stealing money from someone who is dependent on the thief creates a perfect storm. It can be difficult, if not impossible, to catch this type of criminal activity. After all, no one likes to believe that they are unable to control their own finances. In addition to hiring an elder abuse attorney to protect seniors, there is another method of prevention.
Senior citizens range from individuals living healthy, productive senior years to those who are bedridden in nursing facilities. It doesn’t matter what type of senior you are, you are still at risk of financial elder abuse. There are several reasons for this. For starters, if you are in your senior years you are more likely to have what they call ‘senior moments’ where you forget things.
This is due to a loss of memory as we age, a natural part of aging. As a result you might not realize you are being taken advantage of financially, until it’s too late. That’s why you need to have an elder abuse attorney on speed dial. If you discover you have been stolen from, you want to have a professional on your side to defend you.
How to Prevent Financial Abuse
Whether you are an elderly person or you know someone who is, you can help to prevent financial abuse. Here’s how:
- Track your banking accounts and keep them balanced regularly.
- Ask for assistance if you are having trouble thinking clearly about your finances, i.e., you are forgetting to pay bills or are not understanding the forms.
- If you see something amiss, report it immediately to your elder abuse attorney so they can catch the abuse early on.
- Do not sign anything related to your finances if you do not understand the fine print.
- Check your bank statement monthly, as well as your credit card statements if applicable.
If you commit to these practices on a regular basis you will be a step ahead of the would-be criminals who are conning senior citizens.
We encourage all of our clients to consider the very real possibility of financial abuse of the elderly. Even if you are not a senior citizen, chances are you have a family member, loved one or neighbor who is. Here at Garcia, Artigliere HYPERLINK “https://www.lawgarcia.com/”&HYPERLINK “https://www.lawgarcia.com/” Medby we are national leaders in elder care cases. Give us a call at 1-800-281-8515 to request a consultation regarding your financial elder abuse concerns.