Prevent Elder Abuse by Talking to an Elder Abuse Lawyer
Calling elder fraud an unfortunate tragedy would be an understatement. Instead, elder abuse and elder fraud is better understood as a multi-billion dollar industry that steals between $3 and $30 billion dollars from elderly victims each year.
Financial exploitation, however, is only one way that seniors can suffer abuse. Mental and physical harm is well-represented, and one study shows that 1 in 10 elder abuse victims suffer from physical abuse rather than financial abuse. Talking to an elder abuse lawyer can help prevent future abuses, and going to the appropriate authorities may help prevent abuse before it starts. Here are a few tips on how you can protect your loved ones from abusive tactics and practices.
Available Fraud Resources
There are a number of fraud resources available where concerned citizens can report troublesome findings or suspicions. Whether you believe the abuse is stemming from the nursing home staff or a relative, these resources will help you report the abuse to authorities and understand how to prevent elder abuse.
- FTC Complaint Assistant: Seniors can file a financial abuse complaint in either English or Spanish
- StopFraud.gov: A first line of defense for reporting a scam, and there are plenty of resources and tips for preventing elder abuse as well
- Office of Financial Protection for Older Americans: An office which both receives and investigates financial complaints from elderly Americans
- The National Center on Elder Abuse: Provides a state-by-state abuse reporting hotline for the elderly
- The National Adult Protective Services Association: Offers abuse prevention resources and hotlines for each of the 50 states as well as the District of Columbia
Additionally, the AARP provides a treasure trove of information meant to prevent financial elder abuse before it ever begins. If all else fails, and elder abuse occurs or has occurred, talk to an elder abuse lawyer to understand your legal options.
Talking to an Elder Abuse Lawyer
When you need to talk to an elder abuse lawyer after an abuse or wrong has occurred, talk to a lawyer with experience handling elder abuse issues and cases.
If your loved one has been a victim of elder abuse, know that at Garcia & Artigliere, we have successfully represented thousands of senior citizens and their loved ones during their abuse cases. If you are ready to take action against abusive elderly practices, contact Garcia & Artigliere at 1-800-281-8515 or visit our website for your free legal consultation.