According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), elder abuse is experienced by 1 in 10 elders who live at home. An estimated 1 in 3 nursing homes are sites for abuse and neglect. Unfortunately, whether for reasons of fear of retaliation, an inability to communicate, or embarrassment, most instances of elder abuse go unreported. In fact, the CDC reports that for every 1 reported case of abuse, 23 more are not reported.
At Garcia & Artigliere, our Orlando elder abuse lawyers have two key missions:
- To seek justice for those who have already been impacted by elder abuse.
- To expose these acts for what they are so offenders are penalized and to foster change in legislation and case law that prevents others from suffering similar fates.
Do not let elder abuse go unreported. If you have experienced or witnessed abusive conduct, or have noticed signs of abuse, call (407) 720-9294. We are standing by to advise you.
Elder Abuse: Physical & Psychological Effects
Elder abuse has significant physical and psychological effects on its victims. Understanding these can help you be prepared to identify potential abuse, so something can be done about it. If there is a real and immediate risk of danger, do not hesitate to call 911. In non-emergency situations, our Orlando elder abuse attorneys can offer guidance gets you started in the right direction.
The following are potential physical effects of elder abuse:
- Bruises, burns, and other physical injuries
- Physical pain and soreness
- Dehydration and malnutrition
- Difficulty sleeping
- Exacerbation of preexisting illnesses or injuries
The following are potential psychological effects of elder abuse:
- Fear and anxiety
- Suicidal tendencies
- Posttraumatic stress disorder (PTSD)
For more information and guidance, call (407) 720-9294 or contact us online. Se habla español.