Signs That Reveal Nursing Home Neglect of Residents
Nursing home residents deserve good care. That’s the law. Nursing homes have a legal obligation to provide proper care for their residents. Unfortunately, some nursing homes fall short. If you have a loved one who is living in a nursing home, how can you tell if he or she is being neglected? Here are some signs to look out for:
- Look for changes in behavior and emotions. Has your loved one recently become more irritable or aggressive? Anxious or depressed? Confused? Any of these could be signs that your loved one is not being properly cared for.
- Do you notice differences in your loved one’s cleanliness or grooming? Do they have a different smell? If your loved one needs help with taking showers or baths, brushing their teeth, combing their hair, or trimming their nails, neglect by nursing home staff means these basic needs are not being taken care of.
- How does your loved one’s skin look? Bed sores are not a natural part of aging—they are signs that residents are being neglected. Watch out for scratches or an unusual number of insect bites.
- Are your loved one’s medical needs being properly taken care of? Are they being given the correct dosage of prescribed medications?
- If your loved one is supposed to be on a special diet, are they being given the correct foods?
- Have you noticed any unusual weight loss? Is your loved one complaining about being hungry or thirsty?
- Are there problems with your loved one’s room? Is the bed wet? Is the room dirty? Are the public areas clean? Pay particular attention to areas where residents eat their meals.
- Listen to what your loved one says. If they have any complaints about how they are being treated, don’t dismiss what they say because of any cognitive impairments they may have. Find out more. Ask the nursing home staff and administrators questions. If you are not satisfied with their responses, consult a nursing home negligence attorney.
How to Get Help for Nursing Home Neglect
If you discover that a loved one is being neglected in a nursing home, you don’t have to deal with it by yourself. Talk to an experienced, caring nursing home negligence attorney at Garcia, Artigliere & Medby to find out how we can help. The law is on your side. Call us at (800) 281-8515 for a no-obligation consultation.