Due to mental and/or physical incapacity, elderly patients in nursing homes are sometimes targeted by perpetrators of physical and sexual abuse. They may fall prey to appalling acts that cause irreparable emotional harm, not to mention serious physical injuries. Some acts of abuse can even cause the wrongful death of an elderly patient.
Unfortunately, the sexual and physical abuse of elders is poorly understood and grossly underreported. Memory loss, confusion, and difficulty with communication can interfere with an elderly victim’s ability to report abuse or may even result in a report being “swept under the rug” and ignored as false or exaggerated.
Garcia & Artigliere is passionate about standing up for victims of elder physical and sexual abuse across the U.S. If you or someone you love experienced any type of abuse at a nursing home or by a caregiver, our New Orleans nursing home abuse attorneys are here to fight for your rights. We know how to expose wrongdoing and bring at-fault parties to justice.
To get started, call (504) 608-4251. We offer a free, private consultation to talk to you about your case and concerns.
Signs of Sexual Abuse
There are specific signs to look for in an elderly loved one that may be indications of sexual abuse:
- Sexually transmitted diseases (STDs)
- Bruising or other injuries in the pelvic area
- Difficulty walking or sitting
- Damaged or stained undergarments
- Emotional withdrawal, depression, and suicide attempts
Signs of Physical Abuse
The following are potential signs of elder physical abuse:
- Unexplained burns, broken bones, abrasions, or other injuries
- Recurring bruises or other injuries
- Signs of restraints, such as rope marks on the wrists or ankles
- Attempts to hide or self-treat injuries
- Fear of a certain caregiver
- Withdrawal, depression, and suicide attempts
If you notice any sign of elder abuse, seek immediate help. Call our New Orleans elder abuse lawyers at (504) 608-4251 and we can help you determine whether you have a case and how to stop abuse in its tracks. Se habla español.