Abuse by Home Health Caregivers: What You Should Know
Home health care aides provide a crucial service. Their care allows many elderly people to avoid living in nursing homes and instead, stay in their own homes or live in an assisted living community. Many health care aides do a great job, but some are abusive.
For a long time, the home health care industry was mostly unregulated. New laws in California have improved the situation. However, if you are hiring a home health care worker to take care of an elderly loved one, you should still do some careful checking or talk with a Los Angeles elder abuse lawyer.
What to Know Before Choosing a Home Health Care Agency
Although stories of abusive home health care aides are scary, you shouldn’t let that deter you from hiring a home health care aide. You can find a good aide by carefully choosing the right health care agency. Before choosing a home health care agency, you should ask detailed questions. Never use an agency if you feel uneasy or unsatisfied with their answers. Here are some questions you can ask:
• Is the agency licensed in California?
• Are the workers registered with the state?
• How does the agency find and recruit home health aide applicants?
• How does it choose which applicants it hires?
• What in-home caregiving skills are applicants required to have?
• What kind of training does the agency provide and how often does it conduct trainings?
• How does the agency supervise workers?
• Does the agency do periodic in-home checks to make sure aides are doing their jobs properly?
• What happens if you don’t like an aide?
• Will the agency provide a different aide at your request?
In addition to asking questions at the agency, you can also look up information on the state’s online registry. This helps you verify an agency is not only licensed but also confirms their aides are registered and have passed a criminal background check.
A Los Angeles Elder Abuse Lawyer Can Help
Our Los Angeles elder abuse lawyers have been helping seniors for more than 30 years. If you ever suspect that your elderly loved one is being abused by a home health care worker or by anyone else, call us at Garcia & Artigliere at 1-800-281-8515 to talk to one of our Los Angeles elder abuse lawyers.