Determining Fault in a Commercial Trucking Accident
Who’s at Fault in a Commercial Trucking Accident?
Do you know how a commercial trucking accident differs from a car accident? Clearly, the most devastating difference is the increase in damage and fatal injury. A larger vehicle is naturally subject to create more destruction. Less obvious, however, is the assignment of fault. Responsibility can be attributed to multiple entities:
- The truck driver: Speeding, ingesting illegal substances, or driver fatigue are possible causes of a crash.
- The truck owner: Negligence in regularly inspecting the vehicle and equipment can lead to the truck owner being at fault.
- The manufacturer of the vehicle, tires or other parts: An exhaustive investigation can determine if a malfunctioning part caused the truck’s accident.
- The truck’s loading company: Incorrect or over-loading of the truck’s cargo can cause it to shift, leading to falling debris and rollovers.
- A government entity: Unmaintained roads, highway hazards and improperly-marked construction zones can contribute to accidents.
Liability for accidents also varies depending on state laws. For example, in Washington State, there are strict regulations concerning the maintenance of commercial vehicles. So, in the case of a crash, trucking accident lawyers in Washington State will conduct an investigation to ensure that the truck’s maintenance was upheld in accordance with state regulation.
Remember, there’s rarely a single cause for a commercial trucking accident. Commercial trucks are subject to different laws than typical motor vehicles, so it’s important to contact a lawyer who specializes in trucking accidents. It’s also vital to get legal advice as soon as possible, as a prompt investigation is needed for correctly determining fault.
Garcia & Artigliere have expert trucking accident lawyers in Washington State, California, Florida and more. We know the damage these accidents inflict—if you or a loved one has endured a commercial trucking accident, don’t suffer without getting what you deserve. Contact us today for a free consultation.