Can You Sue for Nursing Home Abuse?
Understanding Nursing Home Abuse Lawsuits
Even though there are protective laws in place to prevent nursing home abuse, unfortunately, nursing home abuse and neglect is not an uncommon occurrence. The National Center on Elder Abuse reports that 10% of elders have endured some form of abuse. If you suspect that your elderly loved one has been abused by staff members of their nursing home facility, you may have a case in which you can sue. Here’s what you need to know.
What Constitutes Nursing Home Abuse
Nursing home abuse can come in many different forms. You can sue a nursing home for the following reasons:
- Failure to keep nursing home premises reasonably safe from hazards such as taking proper precautions to prevent slip and fall accidents to resident altercations.
- Negligence in the hiring of an employee who subsequently carries out abuse, neglect, or harm to a patient as well as failing to properly supervise and train an employee.
- Negligence in the supervision of residents who, as a result, may fall or injure themselves in other ways.
- Failure to meet health and safety standards, such as keeping rooms clean as well as ensuring soiled clothing and bedding are properly cleaned.
- Failure to provide proper medical treatments such as missing medications or lack of medical care that could result in harm to a resident.
Proving Nursing Home Abuse
Proving nursing home abuse and neglect can be complicated. However, having as much medical documentation and other types of proof can help solidify your case. Enlisting the help of an experienced nursing home abuse attorney can help guide you in collecting the proper evidence you need for your case such as documentation of any injuries, safety violations, and medical records that can point to the abuse.
Suspect Nursing Home Abuse? We Can Help
If you suspect your loved one is being neglected or abused by nursing home staff members, and you have reported it without changes, our attorneys at Garcia & Artigliere are here to help.
We are committed to fighting nursing home abuse across the United States and have helped countless clients seek justice against their abusers.
Contact us today at (800) 328-2630 to schedule a free case review with our team.