Open Accessibility Menu

Adult Protective Services Helps Elderly People Who Have Been Abused

Garcia & Artigliere

Elderly people are targeted by abusers who take advantage of their vulnerability. People who have cognitive impairments are especially at risk, but any elderly person could become a victim.

Fortunately, there are individuals and organizations who stand up for the rights of the elderly. If you suspect that an elderly loved one has been abused, you can reach out to an experienced elder abuse attorney and/or to the Adult Protective Services agencies in your state.

incident investigation paperwork

What Is Adult Protective Services?

Every state has an Adult Protective Services agency. These agencies have a mission similar to the better-known Child Protective Services, except instead of protecting children, they protect elderly or disabled adults. (“Elderly,” for the purpose of Adult Protective Services, is usually defined as people over 60 or 65.) Adult Protective Services helps people in two different types of situations:

  1. People who are living at home and need some support services to maintain their ability to live independently.
  2. People who have been abused or neglected.

Adult Protective Services agencies work with people in all types of settings. There is another state program, the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program, which specifically serves older adults in nursing homes and other long-term care facilities.

What did Will Adult Protective Services do for You?

When you contact an Adult Protective Services agency on behalf of an elderly loved one, trained professionals will investigate your loved one’s situation and recommend services that can help.

How Can You Contact Adult Protective Services?

If you believe that a loved one may have been a victim of an abuser, you can contact your local Adult Protective Services agency. Each state has its own agency. You can find the phone number, web page, and other contact information for your local agency on the Get Help page for the National Adult Protective Services Association. Calls are confidential. If your loved one is living in a long-term care facility, you can contact the Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program.

You can also contact an elder abuse attorney who can use all the resources of the legal system to obtain justice for your loved one. Garcia & Artigliere has been fighting for the rights of elder abuse victims for decades. Call us at (800) 328-2630 to find out more about how we can help and to receive a free, confidential, and no-obligation case review.


We offer free and confidential consultations. Call (800) 328-2630 Learn About Your Legal Options

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
      You entered an invalid number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.