Open Accessibility Menu

Patient Dies at Reseda Facility

Garcia & Artigliere

Reseda, Calif. – Minnie Turkish began residing at Grancell Village of the Jewish Homes for the Aging because she could no longer care for herself at home. Instead of providing care to her, however, the facility and staff allowed her to develop a severe pressure sore that ultimately resulted in her death.

“Rather than providing the required care to address the conditions for which Minnie was admitted to the facility, her needs were significantly ignored,” said Attorney Stephen Garcia. “As a result, she suffered unnecessary pain that resulted in her death.”

Garcia & Artigliere filed a lawsuit against Grancell Village of the Jewish Homes for the Aging located in Reseda, California, for elder abuse, negligence, negligent hiring and supervision, and wrongful death. The lawsuit alleges that the facility severely neglected Turkish, a resident at the facility, causing her to develop a severe and avoidable Stage IV pressure ulcer, which required debridement to the bone, and later resulted in her death.

At the time of her admission, Turkish suffered from several heart conditions, including a heart valve issue, and required the use of a pacemaker. She also required assistance with her activities of daily living.

In 2011, Turkish became wheelchair-bound, further limiting her mobility. The staff at the facility knew that her sedentary nature could result in the formation of pressure sores, which required timely attention and care as a preventive measure. However, rather than provide this to Turkish, they flat out ignored her needs.

On March 23, 2016, Turkish’s husband visited the facility only to find that his wife had developed a huge pressure ulcer on the back of her thigh near her buttocks. The staff had fraudulently concealed her wound by covering it with gauze so that nobody could see the extent of the horrific sore, which was also extremely malodorous.

In addition, this was the first time her husband had been notified about the wound, and that Turkish had only been given an air mattress and wheelchair cushion mere days earlier, despite the severity of the wound. He was further informed that the debridement procedure had already been performed on Turkish, in which tissue in and around the wound was removed, which left a huge hole all the way to the bone. This had been completed without notifying or receiving consent from Turkish’s family.

Four days later, on March 27, 2016, Turkish’s daughter visited the facility to find her mother’s sore smelling so putrid that she removed the bandage to take a photograph of the horrendous wound.

As a result of the negligence and neglect of both the facility and staff, Turkish passed away the next morning, on March 28, 2016.


We offer free and confidential consultations. Call (800) 328-2630 Learn About Your Legal Options

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
      You entered an invalid number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.