Open Accessibility Menu

Garcia & Artigliere Files Lawsuit Against Knolls Convalescent Hospital

Garcia & Artigliere

Garcia & Artigliere filed a lawsuit against Spring Valley Post Acute LLC and Knolls Convalescent Hospital, Inc. for elder abuse, negligence, negligent hiring and supervision, fraud, and wrongful death. The lawsuit alleges that the Hospital purposefully withheld the required care for Keith Anderson to prevent him from developing pressure sores and infection, which ultimately led to his untimely death.

On February 2, 2013, Mr. Anderson was transferred to Knolls Convalescent Hospital for rehabilitation therapy after a recent stroke left him with left side paralysis. The hospital ignored and misrepresented important changes to his paperwork, including updating the correct emergency contact and accurately listing his insurance information, which resulted in him becoming ineligible for therapy.

Additionally, a nursing assistant left him sitting in a soiled diaper for hours, and accidentally ripped out his catheter during a bath, causing him to endure several urinary tract infections. The nursing assistant was not terminated, suspended, or even disciplined, but yet assigned again to continue care for Mr. Anderson. Furthermore, the hospital failed to provide constant attention to his skin so that he would not develop bed sores.

His wife Barbara Robinson noticed the neglect and the decline in Mr. Anderson’s health and had him transferred elsewhere. However, right before he was to be discharged from the hospital, the staff called Mrs. Robinson and relayed that Keith had not eaten or drunk anything in a few days. It was later determined that the staff did not provide him the necessary intravenous fluids. Mr. Anderson was admitted to the intensive care unit at Desert Valley Hospital, where he was diagnosed with severe dehydration, malnutrition, infected bed sores, congestive heart failure, pneumonia, sepsis, urinary tract infection, and fever.

Due to the continuous egregious neglect, Mr. Anderson’s injuries were irreversible. He took his final breath on February 14, 2015.

“The defendants’ refusal of their legal obligation to properly care for the patients of the hospital is inconceivable,” says attorney Stephen Garcia. “Mr. Anderson was irremediably injured by the facility and died as a direct result of their obvious disregard for his health and well-being.”


We offer free and confidential consultations. Call (800) 328-2630 Learn About Your Legal Options

    • Please enter your first name.
    • Please enter your name.
    • This isn't a valid phone number.
      Please enter your phone number.
      You entered an invalid number.
    • This isn't a valid email address.
      Please enter your email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.