What to Do If You have a Truck Accident
An accident with a big-rig, semi-truck or other large truck can turn your life every which way to wrong.
Often drivers who are in a truck accident will suffer serious personal injuries or worse due to the sheer size of the truck causing extreme damage. In those cases, just getting emergency medical treatment and being taken to a hospital is all you will be able to do.
But should you be “lucky” enough to not suffer serious injuries, or if you witness a truck accident, here is what you need to do:
1. Seek appropriate medical care for everyone in the accident. Not all
injuries are immediately apparent, so it is best to seek medical care
even if you don’t think that you are grievously injured.
2. Never admit blame or guilt. Do NOT say you are sorry. It is impossible to know who is at fault, no matter how apparent the fault seems to be. Only after a thorough investigation can fault – and resulting liability – be determined. Your admitting blame or guilt, or even saying you are sorry, can and will be used against you by the insurance company.
3. Call the police and make sure a report is taken. Obtain the names and phone numbers of all witnesses, take pictures of the accident scene, and note road conditions at the time of the accident. Make sure to get all the numbers on the trailer and the cab (they may be different). Write down the name of the company and other information on the side of the cab and trailer. Keep all evidence from the accident for an experienced truck accident attorney to examine.
4. Do not give statements or sign papers for the trucking company’s insurance company. It is difficult to express how important it is that you do not talk with insurance representatives or give recorded statements about the accident before you consult with an experienced attorney. Never allow yourself to be photographed or videotaped. Insurance carriers on both sides will be looking for information to limit your claim, which will affect your immediate and future care.
5. Hire an experienced truck accident attorney, such as the truck accident attorneys at Garcia & Artigliere, to help you win your case. An experienced truck accident attorney will know the laws and regulations specific to truck accidents. Your truck accident attorney will begin investigating the truck accident and collect evidence and talk to witnesses before they both disappear.
A big rig accident is a frightening experience. To ensure that you are compensated to the degree that you should be, it is imperative that you choose your truck accident attorney wisely.