David M. Medby
Attorney at Law
David Medby is a civil trial lawyer known for his outstanding results in elder abuse and nursing home neglect cases, consumer class actions, and employment and labor law.
While studying for the bar at Loyola Law School in Los Angeles, David Medby began developing his skills while working at The Law Offices of Stephen M. Garcia as a law clerk.
In his almost 10 years of practicing law, David Medby has successfully litigated more than 100 elder abuse and dependent adult abuse cases. Examples include:
- Sandoval v. Summit Care Corporation: $2.4 Million Verdict with a finding that allowed the plaintiff proceed to seek punitive damages. The elder abuse case settled for a confidential amount prior to opening statements in the punitive damages phase of the case.
- Radle v. Confidential: $3.5 Million Settlement
- McCarron v. Confidential: $750,000
- Castellanos v. Confidential: $2.2 Million Verdict
- Mass v. Confidential: $900,000
- Reiton v. Confidential: $850,000
Mr. Medby’s extensive consumer class action experience includes presenting a winning oral argument before the California Court of Appeals, Fourth Appellate District in Boone v. S&F Management (Case No: G040426). He also has served as lead counsel in a number of consumer class actions, including:
- Burnham v. Kendal Floral Supply, LLC (Case No: 08-cv-07461), in which he represented retail floral kiosk merchandisers who had been misclassified as independent contractors, resulting in a multi-million dollar settlement and an average damage award of approximately $4,500 per class member.
- Benkle v. Longwood Management (Case No: BC348147), a consumer class action brought against a nursing home chain for misrepresenting the standard and quality of services offered, resulting in a multimillion dollar settlement and the placement of an independent auditor empowered to inspect randomly the defendant’s facilities to ensure compliance with staffing and safety regulations.
- Williamson v. Ensign Corporation (Case No: BC352116), a consumer class action against a major nursing home chain for violations of the California Consumer Legal Remedies Act, resulting in a multimillion dollar settlement.
- Smietana v. Pleasant Care Corporation (Case No: BC35693), consumer class action affecting the lives of more than 20,000 elder and dependent adults.
David Medby has been named a Southern California Rising Star since 2009. No more than 2.5 percent of all the attorneys in Southern California are named to the list.
Areas of Practice:
- Elder Abuse
- Nursing Home Neglect
- Consumer Class Actions
- Southern California Rising Stars, 2009 – 2012
- Los Angeles County Bar Association
- Loyola Law School, Los Angeles, Juris Doctorate, 2003
- University of California at Los Angeles, Bachelor of Arts, 2000